Believe it or not, I have dreamt of this cake for a long time before actually making it come to life. It started off with a memory: on of the most glorious, light, sweet Tres Leche Cake I had in Pucallpa, Peru years ago.
I wanted to replicate a similar flavor combination, without the very milky aspect to it and — quite frankly — without needing to buy or make vegan sweetened condensed milk. So I went on a mission: making the fluffiest coconut loaded cake ever!
This recipe took quite a few tries to get just right, mostly because the sponge was never reaching the level of lightness I was hoping for. Once I figured out the key combination, it became quite clear to me that there are few key things that make this cake a success:
- Use cake flour — cake flour is much lighter than all-purpose flour and will result in a sponge that is wonderfully airy.
- You need baking powder, baking soda and vinegar to help this cake rise to its maximum potential.
- Light coconut milk is crucial to prevent the cake from being too heavy and not rising.
The glorious light sponge is then topped with a pillowy, rich and creamy whipped topping. I know what you might think — Murielle, it is so hard to find a coconut milk that actually separates completely and that whips up beautifully.
Do not despair, I am here to help! Here are a few things to keep in mind when selecting your full fat coconut milk for this recipe:
- Opt for a higher quality coconut milk that contains only two ingredients: coconut and water. Nothing more.
- If you are in Canada, my absolute favorite and most reliable product for the best whipped topping is Cha’s Organics Coconut Whipping Cream.
- If you cannot find this product, another product that has worked wonderfully to produce a light and airy whipped cream is Native Forest’s Organic Coconut Milk.
Well, that is it you guys, I am so glad that I finally get to share with you this recipe on my blog. It is one I have been dreaming on for a while and one that is a total crowd pleaser.
If you are a coconut fan and are looking to treat yourself for your birthday or just on a random weekend, be sure to try this cake, I really think you will love it! On that note, if you do end up making this recipe, be sure to share it on Instagram and tag me (@muriellebanackissa).
Have a wonderful week my friends!
Discover other coconut lovers’ recipes: