It’s TACO TUESDAY! You know what that means right… I am bringing you a fresh new taco recipe & this one is a WINNER: layers upon layers of deliciousness all held together by a soft corn tortilla!
I have always been a lover of tacos, but I must say that the day I swapped my usual crunchy taco shells with soft corn tortillas, my life changed! Warm, soft, chewy, they were a real revelation…
This small change somehow triggered a whole new passion for tacos. I started experimenting with different toppings such as BBQ jackfruit, saucy & sticky sweet potato, crumbled tofu, black beans, avocado cream, kimchi, mango salsa and much much more!
One thing I have come to realize, to get a winner taco recipe, you need a couple of key things:
- Corn tortilla – we’ve already covered that ground; this one is a must!
- Something to act as the main component of your taco – I love beans, tofu, tempeh, or jackfruit.
- Something fresh & saucy – think salsa or chimichurri.
- Something crunchy – some sort of greens or shredded cabbage are my go-tos.
- Something spicy – this could be added as part of the seasonings of some of your other components. It could also be a sauce or even hot peppers.
- Something creamy – avocado, guacamole, some sort of cashew sauce, hummus or maybe even some soft cheese.
- Fresh cilantro – this one is a must (unless you are one of those people who find that it tastes like soap!!)
Well I have great news for you, this taco has all the elements a tasty taco must have!
✓ corn tortilla
✓ juicy maple glazed tempeh
✓ salsa, made with sweet pineapple, red onions, lime juice & cilantro
✓ shredded purple cabbage
✓ chilies and jalapenos since heat is a MUST!
✓ avocado – ‘cause you’ll very rarely find me eating a taco without a few slices of avocado in there!
✓ cilantro as garnish
If you are interested in making this recipe, no pressure to have every single component on hand! I think the tortilla (obviously!), the maple glazed tempeh and the pineapple salsa are a must, but for the rest of the ingredients, go with the flow! If you are a guacamole type of person, add some in! If a taco without cheese is a sin, then you know what to do! If you have some fresh ferments or pickles in the fridge, those would also be perfect in these. Just be creative and enjoy your unique masterpiece.
If you make any variation of these, make sure to share it on Instagram and tag me in your post (@muriellebanackissa), I’d love to see your creations!
Discover more delicious mains: