- 3 cups puffed brown rice cereal
- ½ cup dried fruit
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp natural peanut butter at room temperature
- ⅓ cup pitted dates (about 5 medjool dates)
- 3 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 dark chocolate bar (80-100g) , chopped
- ½ cup unsalted roasted peanuts , chopped
Crispy Peanut Butter and Chocolate Squares
Well, even though the holidays are behind us now (sadly!), it doesn’t mean we should stop eating desserts!
I am really not one to believe that all of a sudden, once January hits, we should restrict everything we eat, go on diets, eliminate all sugars and fats and only stick to salads… I am a huge proponent of eating a balanced diet all year long. I believe it is important to feed your body a variety of colourful fruits and veggies, different whole grains and healthy sources of plant based protein and fat.
But, I also believe that desserts can easily fall into those categories! For example, these bars contain fruits (dried cranberries and dates). They are also made with whole grains – I used puffed brown rice cereal, instead of the traditional white rice cereal. They contain healthy protein and fats in the form of peanuts & peanut butter.
Anyways, all that to say that I personally believe that you can enjoy a flavourful, nutritious, vegan and EVEN gluten free (if that is your thing) dessert anytime, while feeling satisfied and without trying to suppress your (natural!) cravings.
If you have read my blog for a little while, you might know that I am a person who loves loves loves recipes that:
- Require few ingredients,
- Are made with wholesome ingredients and are preferably naturally sweetened,
- Can keep for a little while, and
- Can be adapted and modified based on what I have in my cupboards.
Well these Crispy Peanut Butter and Chocolate Squares check all these boxes! Most importantly, and what I absolutely love about these bars is that they can change their flavour based on what you have at home. For example:
- Replace the peanut butter with any nut or seed butter of your choice: almond, cashew, hazelnut and even sunflower seed butter are amazing alternatives!
- Use any dried fruits you have on hand. I made these with cranberries, but I am certain they would be delicious with raisins, dried mulberries, chopped figs or apricots or even prunes. The possibilities are endless.
- No roasted peanuts? Top these bars with any other chopped nut, with sesame seeds, hemp hearts, pepitas, goji berries, shredded coconut or coconut flakes etc.
Well that is it guys, I hope you give these bars a try, because I really think it could be a love at first bite moment! If you try this recipe, share your thoughts with me in the comments and also on Instagram by tagging me (@muriellebanackissa).
Also, I just wanted to say don’t put any dietary pressure on yourself in the new year. Embrace who you are and feed your body delicious, satisfying and healthy foods all year long, because that is what you deserve!